
As you all know, I am always on a quest to find great places to visit close to home. Here is one that we just returned from, Mill Creek in Forest Falls. It is a 20 minute drive from Redlands, straight up Highway 38. Some of you local readers may have even visited the falls, which were further upstream from where we were today.
Yesterday, Daddy C suggested this little day trip for the family. So we threw on our swimming suits, threw in our towels, some water bottles, Gatorade, granola bars, bananas, a bag of peanuts and of course, sunscreen and hats. I am also glad we threw in our "water socks", they proved to be vital for this outing.
When we first drove past Forest Home and into the town of Forest Falls, an annual Chili Cook-Off was about to start. We got out and walked around, and I was very tempted by the savory aroma of over 12 different chilis. But the eldest C was on a quest to get to the creek. He was not even tempted by the bounce house. I admired his determination, so we headed directly to the creek.
We found a beautiful little shady spot with a flat rock under a tree. Baby C and I camped there while Daddy C and the two went over to a nice little pool made by the creek and started piling more rocks to make a dam. Baby and I checked their progress frequently and went in for a dip a few times.
We all spent hours scrambling over rocks and wading through the clean, cool water. The only sound we could heard during those hours was rushing water. No traffic or TV, no loud music, no cel phones (or computers!) We need more time like that. We don't need Disneyland, or an Ensenada cruise. We want to do more "choose your own adventure" days. And we're going to do it. What about you?
I would love to hear about your summer adventures. Comments make my day. So, go ahead, make my day! (please?)
P.S. If you plan to go to the creek, or hike anywhere in the San Bernardino National Forest, you will need to purchase an Adventure Pass for your vehicle.
Yesterday, Daddy C suggested this little day trip for the family. So we threw on our swimming suits, threw in our towels, some water bottles, Gatorade, granola bars, bananas, a bag of peanuts and of course, sunscreen and hats. I am also glad we threw in our "water socks", they proved to be vital for this outing.
When we first drove past Forest Home and into the town of Forest Falls, an annual Chili Cook-Off was about to start. We got out and walked around, and I was very tempted by the savory aroma of over 12 different chilis. But the eldest C was on a quest to get to the creek. He was not even tempted by the bounce house. I admired his determination, so we headed directly to the creek.
We found a beautiful little shady spot with a flat rock under a tree. Baby C and I camped there while Daddy C and the two went over to a nice little pool made by the creek and started piling more rocks to make a dam. Baby and I checked their progress frequently and went in for a dip a few times.
We all spent hours scrambling over rocks and wading through the clean, cool water. The only sound we could heard during those hours was rushing water. No traffic or TV, no loud music, no cel phones (or computers!) We need more time like that. We don't need Disneyland, or an Ensenada cruise. We want to do more "choose your own adventure" days. And we're going to do it. What about you?
I would love to hear about your summer adventures. Comments make my day. So, go ahead, make my day! (please?)
P.S. If you plan to go to the creek, or hike anywhere in the San Bernardino National Forest, you will need to purchase an Adventure Pass for your vehicle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Sounds like fun I went to Victoria Gardens on Sat and saw kids having water fun by getting wet by the fountains! They were in their suits having a ball while parents sat nearby. Not quite a natural adventure but perhaps a nice option for people in that part of the IE. Also nice water break for the kids after a day of shopping.
Anonymous said...
July 7, 2008 at 8:04 AM
What clear, beautiful water! Sounds like a lovely place.
Kristen said...
July 7, 2008 at 10:52 AM
We are going to have to go there! That water is crystal clear. Beautiful!
Genny said...
July 7, 2008 at 1:35 PM
I just wanted to add (for my out of area readers) that nice, clean natural bodies of water are hard to find here, as it is very dry. So we get very excited when we find a little oasis like this!
MamaCta! said...
July 7, 2008 at 1:58 PM
Looks awesome. Making plans to go now.
Fit Mommy said...
July 7, 2008 at 4:28 PM
Looks wonderful! I think we'll take a trip up there too : ) Thanks for the ideas.
Unknown said...
July 7, 2008 at 7:53 PM
How beautiful. And nice that you found shade!
Lysa said...
July 7, 2008 at 11:58 PM
What a great way to spend the day with your family! Too bad I'm on the wrong coast :(
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you'll be back for a visit!
Big Hair Envy said...
July 10, 2008 at 7:04 PM