Me, at Zabriskie Point, Death Valley National Park, April 2002



This is one I probably won't put in the photo album, it was so windy here I could hardly open my eyes. And yes, that is me trying to keep the wind from blowing my shirt off. But I thought I would share it with all my readers, especially my SoCal readers. While I will not recommend a visit to Death Valley in the summer (120+ degrees), it is quite lovely in the winter and early spring.
One of the most memorable vacations I had as a child was our camping trip to Death Valley. Here are three things that I remember about that trip:
1. The night sky. Stunning. Breathtaking. Incredible. The stars as I had never seen before, nor since.
2. I climbed my first mountain on that trip. (So maybe it wasn't Everest, but to a little girl it was a high point (literally) in my young life.
3. The car broke down. We explored a bit while waiting for help, and found a sun-bleached skeleton of a burro. Mom and Dad let us take it home. (Thanks Mom and Dad.) It lived on for years in our attic.
I was able to spend a few days there as an adult, with my dear husband, back in 2002. Here is what I remember about that trip:
1. It was terribly windy and cold, and we slept in the back of the van at the most desolate campground I've ever seen.
2. We rode our bikes on the most desolate road I've ever been on.
3. There was such harsh, desolate beauty in that place. (Do I keep saying "desolate"?)
4. Out in that "desolate" place we did not know our lives were about to change FOREVER. We were pregnant with our first child.
My closing thought is:
One of the most memorable vacations I had as a child was our camping trip to Death Valley. Here are three things that I remember about that trip:
1. The night sky. Stunning. Breathtaking. Incredible. The stars as I had never seen before, nor since.
2. I climbed my first mountain on that trip. (So maybe it wasn't Everest, but to a little girl it was a high point (literally) in my young life.
3. The car broke down. We explored a bit while waiting for help, and found a sun-bleached skeleton of a burro. Mom and Dad let us take it home. (Thanks Mom and Dad.) It lived on for years in our attic.
I was able to spend a few days there as an adult, with my dear husband, back in 2002. Here is what I remember about that trip:
1. It was terribly windy and cold, and we slept in the back of the van at the most desolate campground I've ever seen.
2. We rode our bikes on the most desolate road I've ever been on.
3. There was such harsh, desolate beauty in that place. (Do I keep saying "desolate"?)
4. Out in that "desolate" place we did not know our lives were about to change FOREVER. We were pregnant with our first child.
My closing thought is:
It doesn't matter where you go. Just go and make some memories.
For more flashback fun, visit We are THAT Family.
Labels: activities, adventure, nature, vacation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OMG!!! I got warm fuzzies reading that!
sealaura said...
July 24, 2008 at 7:51 AM
Wow, the landscape is just beautiful in that photo!
Tammy said...
July 24, 2008 at 12:47 PM
I think that is were we stayed when I was about 14 years old. I remember it being sooo hot we could't sleep at night in our tents. I learned to drive stick though..my friends had a baja bug they brought and us young teenage girls got to take it out and around whenever we wanted. That was so fun!
So did you notice the purge on twitter today? 1/2 of my contacts are gone. Including you. I tried to find you and reconnect...I hope it was you I found because your avitar is different. Let me know!
Jonara Blu Maui said...
July 24, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Oh..I found your twitter follow in my email trash..so I reconnected. The other mamma_C (not mama_C) will get a message from me that I"m following her now :-O
Jonara Blu Maui said...
July 24, 2008 at 1:57 PM
LOL, for a moment I thought you were about to flash the camera!
Muthering Heights said...
July 24, 2008 at 7:49 PM
You strike me as an adventurer! I am the biggest chicken and most boring person in the world. May I just live vicariously through you?
Have a great weekend!
Jen
j said...
July 24, 2008 at 8:55 PM
Hey Momma C! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Your trips to Death Valley sure were some memorable occasions! It sounds like your parents were really cool for letting you take home a burro skeleton! Wow! I'm sure if they would have had a Wally, you would have had some fun with that, too! I hope to see you again soon!
Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...
July 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM
So cute! What a fun picture.
Genny said...
July 25, 2008 at 9:05 PM
Sorry I'm late on visiting your "fro post! Just got back from Family Camp!
What a great post and photo. I've always wanted to visit there!
Kristen said...
July 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM