Visit "Works For Me Wednesday" at Rocks in My Dryer for lots of fun household tips!
Have you ever noticed that things go from order to chaos, with very little effort? But going from chaos to order takes very deliberate effort by a creative force. Just so you know, I do NOT consider myself "creative" when it comes to home decorating and arrangement, but I was proud of my little triumph illustrated below.
This next photo shows what this room regularly looked like when I had a 1 and a 3 year old. This is only a mild mess. It was usually much, much worse. Note that this sofa is a dumping ground for laundry, and the TV cabinet top dumping ground for clutter. During this phase, I usually stayed out of this room if I could help it.
circa 2006:
Last Saturday I spent the day moving EVERYTHING out of the room, (except TV cabinet). I steam cleaned the carpet, because really scary stuff was hanging out there. Then I put the room back together. I got rid of A LOT of toys. I moved the sectional sofa in front of the fireplace, because really, with a crawling baby, do I need another thing to worry about?last week:

I can't believe what a huge difference it made in my daily life to rearrange this one room. It looks so much bigger, and I can see the kids now, where as before the room was blocked off by the sofa. It was like unclogging an artery in my home. I love hanging out in this room now. Even Baby C enjoys her new crawling space, and as you can see, she can stand now, too!
I'm sure over time this room will revert back to chaos. But at least it will be easier to clean!
My "deep thought" quote of the day:
(Philadelphia: Templeton Foundation, 1998), 19.
So, what summer goals do you have going on right now? I'd love to hear from you!
I'm sure over time this room will revert back to chaos. But at least it will be easier to clean!
My "deep thought" quote of the day:
"Would it not be strange if a universe without purpose accidentally created humans who are so obsessed with purpose?"
-Sir John Templeton
John Templeton, The Humble Approach: Scientists Discover God-Sir John Templeton
(Philadelphia: Templeton Foundation, 1998), 19.
So, what summer goals do you have going on right now? I'd love to hear from you!
Labels: deep thoughts, goals, home, projects
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I know what you mean. I have chaos all the time at my house. My little Norman Alexander won't put away his toys and I am a mess cat myself. I love the new arrangement. When you have chaos know that I am with you in solidarity :)
sealaura said...
July 18, 2008 at 6:09 PM
ooh good idea to put the couch in front of the fireplace like that! certainly much safer for the baby. I love the blue accents in your room..it's beautiful!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for commenting..you are very talented as well! And I see you take pics on leaves..I used to do that when I had more growing here..droughts last summer and too busy to water this summmer has left my heliconia sparse :\ But I love them..seeing yours reminds me of how awesome it makes the jewelry look :)
You should join the beading group I help mod... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Beadingaholics/
if you do be sure to give me a shout out! :D
Jonara Blu Maui said...
July 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM
Funny how having kids fills the house with stuff. But, more than that, it fills the house with love to, doesn't it? :)
Genny said...
July 21, 2008 at 6:35 PM
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am envious of your clean room. I can clean a room leave it, and when I return there is stuff everywhere again. uggghh!
Donna said...
July 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM