Picture number 1. I am a busy mom of 3. I try to make simple, yet somewhat nutritious meals. Here are the 4 ingredients I used for this lunch:
Picture Number 2: Kids want what they want. Clearly, this is not what C1 had in mind. I asked him to stand next to the dish and at least pretend like he liked it. This is the face I got:Picture Number 3: Some kids, though, are at least willing to try it, with a smile.
Picture Number 4: "Come on you guys, this is really good. It was really quick and easy to make, and it's filling and nutritious" (Multi-grain pasta, even!)
Picture Number 5: C1 and I have an understanding: If you don't eat what I cook, you make your own lunch. And he's getting really good at making sandwiches! He even garnished his plate with frozen raspberries. Now that's nutritious!

OK readers, this is where you come in! I need some IDEAS! Can you PLEASE give me some 5 ingredients or less recipes? They have to be EASY. Not too many steps. Just write it in a comment. To motivate you, the winner of this contest will get to pick ANY ITEM from my Etsy store. (See sidebar.) Local readers, long distance readers, everybody is welcome to participate. Thanks!
P.S. I'll pick the winner July 4th.
For more fun reads, check out We Are THAT Family.
Rachael H. was the winner for this contest! Congratulations! Thanks to everyone for all your awesome suggestions. I have been slowly trying them out, with good results!
(Winners picked randomly using random.org.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Very funny. No ideas coming at the moment. will work on it.
Anonymous said...
June 21, 2008 at 7:23 PM
One of my go to kids foods is pizza. I buy the pilsbury crust(about $2.50) and then let them make their own. I think getting to eat something they "cook" themselves is exciting for kids.
Lysa said...
June 21, 2008 at 7:54 PM
Oh man, I love those easy and nutritious meals. And I'll love more new ideas too. I can think of a few. Here are 2 of our favorites.
Ingredients:
-1 pork roast (whichever is on sale)
-package of Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls
-salt and pepper to taste
-mayo/or BBQ sauce
-bag of pre-mixed salad
Slow cook a cheap pork roast for 8 hours on low. (I love this- throw it in the morn and it's ready when you are!) I literally threw it in the pot and added no more than a cup of water to the bottom and just let it cook.
After 8 hours or so, use a fork to shred the meat (it usually does itself)
Then make a little sandwich with the shredded pork and the sweet roll. Using mayo and salt or BBQ sauce. Pre-mixed salad on the side! Voila! It probably takes less than 10 minutes from you TOTAL to "prepare."
Anonymous said...
June 21, 2008 at 9:07 PM
Okay so here's another of our favorites:
1 box of prepared Mac-n-cheese
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can of tuna
1/4 c. frozen peas (optional)
pepper to taste (optional)
Mix all ingredients in a casserole dish. Bake @ 375 for 30 min (well, I usually "guestimate" on the time and temp - so basically until it's bubbly and looks ready)
Extra Tip: Frozen peas are a really great snack or side to any meal straight from the freezer! My kids love them, they taste totally different, and I think are even soothing to teething gums.
Anonymous said...
June 21, 2008 at 9:12 PM
Hi Clara,
Here is my post, I was having a hard time posting b/c I can't remember my password.
Here is the recipe I always make for people when they've had a baby.
1 cup milk
1 cup peas
1 cup canned diced tomatos
1 box mac and cheese
1 pound of ground beef or turkey
mozzarella cheese
First cook the meat. Then add everything else, other than the mozz cheese. Let it come to a boil and then reduce the flame and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the pasta is tender. If the pasta is not tender enough you can add a little more milk. Then when you're done sprinkle the cheese all over. YUMMY!
God Bless. -Karin
Anonymous said...
June 22, 2008 at 8:01 AM
Here's the other recipe that usually works:
-boneless chicken thighs
-a trader Joes simmer sauce (usually lemon dill or piccata)
-broccoli
-rice
-butter and CHEESE
I marinate the chicken in the simmer sauce first, but you don't have to. Combine the chicken and sauce and cook covered on the stove top until done (maybe 20 min?). I cut a piece through to make sure. I steam broccoli and make rice. Add butter to the rice and much cheese to the broccoli. If your kids don't like the simmer sauce you can do bbq, since it's sweet. Or just pan fry and add cheese to the chicken too. I find the girls will eat almost anything covered in cheese. You can also substitute pasta and butter for rice. Also, I like thighs because it's hard to dry them out since they're dark meat. We eat this a lot because it's easy. For adult interest I just change the sauce.
Lysa said...
June 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM
Here is my favorite:
4-6 chicken breasts in a crockpot
add: 1 can drained black beans
1 can drained corn
1 cup salsa
cook on med for 3 hours
add: 1 cup salsa if it looks too dry
1 block of cream cheese cut up
cook another hour
serve over rice or pasta
YUMMMMMMMM
chrissy fitch
Anonymous said...
June 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM
Yummm! Im getting so excited to try out all of these great ideas! Thanks for taking the time everyone!
MamaCta! said...
June 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Turkey Pitas.....So EASY and so YUMMY!
Ground turkey (or beef if you want)
wholewheat pitas (trader joe's)
fixings(lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cheese)
Thousand island dressing(fat free or light work great)
Cook up turkey and season. Stuff turkey and fixings of choice into pita pocket, top with dressing. This is great for summer, minimal cook time, light and not hot.......Enjoy!
Katy said...
June 22, 2008 at 1:57 PM
Another suggestion:
This seems obvious, but took me a while to realize. Lena will only eat separated food. NO sandwiches, etc. (although she'll eat pizza) so I serve a "bits of food" plate. A meat: (balogna, pieces of turkey, chicken nuggets, etc.), a fat: pieces of cheese or a cheese stick,a vegi: shelled edamame, sweet canned corn (with butter), spinach puffs (like chicken nuggets, but with spinach), and a fruit: canned peaches, pears or peeled apple. I put them on a plate and let them graze.
Lysa said...
June 22, 2008 at 8:07 PM
This was such a fun post! I love all of the expressions! And I think that meal looks delicious! :)
Stephanie said...
June 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM
Cute pictures! And making his own sandwiches? Impressive.
Genny said...
June 23, 2008 at 4:41 PM
Now, you know better than to ask me for any domestic advice, especially cooking :) !
MamaCta! said...
June 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM
sorry, clara I made it seem like you commented on your own blog. For those of you out there. Clara and I live one door away and I commented using her computer oops!
Anonymous said...
June 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM
I'm not exactly an expert in the cooking department (per today's post) but on Wednesday almost 300 people will be linking up 5 ingredient recipes at Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer. You should check it out. I plan to!
Thanks for sharing and linking up!
Kristen said...
June 26, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Here's one that my kids got a kick out of recently.
"Bock Bock Tacos"
Dice onion
brown in tsp oil
add shredded chicken
Can of cream of ck w/herbs
Mild Taco seasoning
heat
crispy taco shells
garnish lett/tom/avacodo for me
sour cream for dad
serves well with cold melons
Bon Appitet!
The title cracks them up and they tend to like more!
Dawn @ simply transparent said...
June 26, 2008 at 12:28 PM
PB cookies. :)
1 egg
1 c of sugar (or splenda)
1 c of peanut butter (organic natural works fine too)
Mix together, roll onto balls and put in oven for 10 minutes at 350. VOILA!
DD said...
June 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM
I've seen that look many times at my house! My son is weirdly picky. No read meat, but loves some sushi?! It makes meal planning a pain.
Here's a link to a wonderful Greek pasta salad that I love to make (ok it's six items, but if you leave one ingredient out it's 5) :-)
http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/greek-isles-pasta-salad-106259.aspx
Tammy said...
June 27, 2008 at 6:17 AM
Thanks for stopping by!
Genny said...
June 27, 2008 at 3:32 PM
HI! What a great idea, having everyone post recipes you'll have to share them! I love the photos you took, you have a gift for writing and photography. I just love reading your blog!
We had chicken kabobs tonight and they were easy and good! I cut up the chicken and vegies ahead of time and when it came time for dinner it only takes 8-10 min. on the grill.
I marinated the chicken cubes in bbq sauce, but you don't have too you can just spread it on when you grill.
1b.boneless skinless chicken breast
cut into 1 1/2 in pieces
1 can pineapple chunks
bell peppers: orange, yellow, green or red. I used 2 1/2 peppers cut into 1 1/2 chunks
1/2 bbq sauce
3 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed.
mix bbq sauce and orange juice and brush onto kabobs.
i used 3 chicken breasts and 2 1/2 peppers and 1 can of pineapple and it feed 4 adults and 2 children.
Serve with rice. Yummie!!
We Miss you guys! If you can come over and I'll make them for you! :)
Tonia
Tonia said...
June 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM
I found your blog from That Family.
I too have very picky children. Sometimes, I want to pull my heart out!!
We have a few tried and true recipes. You don't even have to heat the house. YEA! They take about 5 minutes to put togehter!!
Hawaiiain Haystacks
Rice-minute enought to feed your family
make a sauce with chicken gravy mix-you can cream of chicken soup if you want. I don't like too. I prefer the taste of the gravy mix.
crunchy chinese noodles. (better inthe can)
cheese-lots of cheese cause kids love it!
chicken. I used can and mix it with the sauce, but one of my kids dont't like it this way-so I sometimes do it seperate.
layer on top of each other. serve.
When adults eat it i serve with
green onions
pineapple
whaveter else you want. These foods are just not kid frendly. It really is super good. easy and ALL kids love it. ( i have tried it on many)
I also found a great tip from a friend.
a circle lunch.
just get out your muffin tins and put different foods in each circle.
cheese, crackers, cookies, carrots, tuna, salsa and chips. Whatever you want, whatever they will eat. It's fun. They can eat it in whatever order they want. Quick, diffrent. Best of all-
quick clean up!!
My kids love this!!
one more
doyou have a casadia maker?
Pull it out and let them decide what they want on it.
You pull the ingred. out that would go together.
chicken, tukey, ham lunch meat. Cheese-differnt kids.
A taco one. with salsa, meat and ranch. Put ranch on fist then layer.with the rest.
when done use salsa, sour cream to dip.
You can also do desert one's too.
peanut buuter and jelly or honey with a little cream cheese.
whatever you want. or should I say what your kids will eat.
we use these ideas adn they work at our house. Good luck.. Us moms can use all the help we can get! Right? Please come by and say hi! I love new friends!!
Tausha said...
July 3, 2008 at 7:34 PM
I have one that has three but I'm not sure of the nutrition- my nana used to make it for my dad and his sibs and so on down the line...Heat some oil in a large skillet - slice some potatoes semi-thin- cook until just about done, add some sliced hot dogs and then some scrambled egg mix. Mix gently until eggs are cooked. Salt and pepper to taste. It's a family favorite and cheap- but like I said, I'm not sure how nutritious.
gina said...
July 4, 2008 at 6:50 AM
I just saw the date on this so it's a little past, but I thought I would share this recipe anyways!
I wrote it on my blog back in May during Mommyfest, and it's super easy! (there are 7 ingredients)
http://momof2andwife.blogspot.com/2008/05/mommyfest-potluck.html
I hope you enjoy it!
Joanna said...
July 4, 2008 at 7:50 AM
That second photo is the face I get EVERY time I try to get my child to try something new!!!
Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...
July 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM