Here is something else to put on your list of things to do this summer: The new Highland Library. We just came back from a successful outing, and wanted to share with you some of the things we enjoyed about it.
1. The exhibits. This library has the feel of a museum. There are aquariums and terrariums, there are live snakes, lizards, geckos, birds, insects, and spiders.
2. The children's wing. Very spacious, and user friendly. The kids went straight for the computers and played some fun learning games. Baby C and I checked out some books and DVDs to enjoy later. The friendly librarian looked up some information for me and put a hold on an item from another library.
3. The rooftop gardens. We traveled up a series of ramps to discover an extensive garden, and even a small pond. We had a great view of the San Bernardino Mountains as well.
4. Good air conditioning. OK I realize you can find this anywhere, but it sure was a nice way to spend an hour and a half with the kids on a hot day!
Thanks to Patricia, who commented about the Highland Library in my post Where Will Your Feet Take You This Summer? She said we'd be amazed, and we were!
Check out these links for more info on the Highland Library.
Redlands Daily Facts
Press Enterprise
Have you visited this library yet? I would love to know what you thought.

Aren't libraries the best places!? I love them, and so do my kiddos.
Genny said...
June 16, 2008 at 5:59 PM
This is perfect. I was just making my list of places to go and things to do, and with gas so high we are trying to keep closer to home. This is going to the top of the list.
rach said...
June 17, 2008 at 2:59 PM
That looks like a great library! What a perfect place to pass long summer days!
Stephanie said...
June 18, 2008 at 11:01 AM
Iy's been a long held tradition to make library time - family time. Even before my children could read we always made a point of visiting the library. Funny, when they we're small and loud I'd often get the shhhh. That never discouraged me and I'm happy to say both our children are strong readers for the perseverence we endured.
Fortunately at 8 and 11 they are head strong and make a great pair and will often walk over to get a "new-read".
I always find it ironic that schools make field trips to the public library. Child should well know the inside outs of a library well before they start school.
ZONE F DG TEAM said...
July 3, 2008 at 9:01 PM