Yesterday I completed my first ever 5k run at the Fontana Days Race. My goal was to do it under 30 minutes. My time was 28:11. I did it. My friend Laura went with me and was my "pit crew". We unofficially named ourselves "Team Orange" because of my bright orange running shirt and our two bright orange sweat jackets that I got on clearance at Target for $5 each.
The mood was festive as runners of all different ages and abilities boarded the numerous buses and were driven up to the start line on Sierra Ave. above the 210 freeway. Even though I was running alone, I met and talked to several very nice people on the bus and as we waited for the race to begin. The weather was perfect--balmy and no hint of chill.
Off we went, pounding the pavement of Sierra Avenue, me and a few hundred runners. I kept my pace slow and steady. The first mile went quickly. The second mile was a little harder. The last mile was hardest of all. The rows of balloons marking the finish line looked so close, yet they were still so far away. I had to fight the temptation to pick up the pace to early, or I wouldn't be able to make it.
I crossed the finish line, Laura was waiting for me, ready with camera, to capture my agony for all to see (on slideshow). But it didn't last long, I was so happy to have just finished the race. I feel like I have accomplished a huge thing, that was completely out of the realm of anything I have ever done in the past. Here is the verse from the Bible that I kept repeating to myself over and over while I ran: "Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit" says the LORD almighty.

Congratulations Clara! I am so proud of you. I am proud that you did something that you truly didn't think you could do. It is so exhilariting when you accomplish a task you are sure you could not have accomplished.
Karin said...
June 9, 2008 at 8:32 AM
I'm so impressed! Congratulations!!
Lysa said...
June 9, 2008 at 7:10 PM
Hey, that's cool what you did with the images! How'd you do that?
Anonymous said...
June 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM
How great! Congratulations!
Genny said...
June 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM
Congrats! Your time was really good - especially for your 1st 5K. I'm impressed!
P.S. Are you wearing a running skirt? You look so cute. :)
Stephanie said...
June 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM