My Baby's Babies


Baby C has an extreme fondness for baby dolls. One of her favorite words is "beebee". At first we thought her fondness for dollies was so endearing. But something happened. As word got out that she loved dollies, her collection began to grow. And grow. Now, it is entirely out of control. There are babies all over the house. In every room. In her crib. In the car. Under my feet, wherever I walk.

She insists on taking a baby with her wherever she goes. And if she happens to see another one as we're walking out the door, she'll cry for it. At mealtimes, if there happens to be a dolly in her line of vision, she will demand to have it with her at the table. And if someone else happens to pick up her dolly, WATCH OUT! She will pierce your eardrums with her scream. She does play with them so sweetly at times, but she also frets over them because she can't keep track of ALL of them.

One day when grandpa tried to put her down in her crib for a nap, she insisted on taking 3 dollies with her. They did not help her sleep. They kept her wide awake. Another time, I put her to bed for the night with one of her dollies. She woke up about an hour later and did not see it. "BEEEBEEEE!" she screamed, until I came in and put it back in her arms.

I know she loves her "beebees", but enough is enough. There are WAY too many babies for her to fret over. And my eardrums can only take so much. I think I am going to put all the babies in a high shelf of a closet, and get them out one at a time. Bye bye babies, we'll miss you. Don't worry, we'll bring you out to play another day.

Has your child ever obesessed over certain toys or objects? What did you do?

I'll let you know how my plan turns out. Think it will help?

7 comments:

Well as you know my baby Norman Alexander loves his duckies. B Got him his first duck and there have been about 2 more. Everytime he finds an old one it is duckmania. How do I deal with it? I spoil him rotten.

February 27, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

Maybe try putting one on the shelf every day or every couple of days instead of taking them all at one time. That way she might not notice the "loss". Gradually you might have it down to controllable number of babies.

I don't think any of my kids had attachments to toys or blankets, but it's been so long that I'm not sure I would remember if they did! My baby is 25.

February 27, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

Kathy, that is a great idea. I was starting to feel like a mean mama just at the thought of confiscating all the "beebees" just because it was driving me crazy! But gradually cutting down on the number would probably be better for both of us. This is why I need the wisdom of my readers.

February 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

Laura, I think that Norman even adopted one of our duckies. You know it warmed my heart though to be able to provide him with a toy he loves.

February 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

oh my lol! I was gonna say..I think one by one they need to start disappearing. And the fam and friends need to to no NO MORE! I'm trying to think if cam was obsessed over anything and the only thing I can think of was his bottle w/ water in it. He drank that up until he was about
2 1/2..always had to have it by him. He just wanted water in it and called it 'water baba' I know Super Nanny would have a fit w/ me letting him drink a bottle for so long. but he didn't drink reg drinks from a bottle..he just liked to have it around and take a sip out of it and of course take naps w/ it.

We had a discussion when he was
2 1/2 about him growing up and letting me know when he was ready to be a big boy and loose the diapers and the bottle. He thought about it a few days and then told me he was ready. I asked if he was 'sure' he said yes..and never looked back! It was pretty easy..but I had other things w/ him that were sooo hard with him that I deserved a break on something!

February 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

Our daughter, now 11, has been a doll connoisseur for her entire life. Even now, we're having a rough time deciding which of her dollies stay and which ones get donated.

It's given her ample opportunity to hone her very maternal skills. She's like a little mother to them. And by extension, her little brother, her dog, pretty much any other kid she meets.

Sounds like you're well on your way to raising a very well grounded little girl.

March 7, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

That's A LOT of babies! We've been overwhelmed by toys in our house too!

Today, my husband took a trash bag into our 2-year-old's room and had her select toys to give away to kids who don't have any toys. She actually did quite well and we now have a bag full of toys to give away.

But we still have WAY too many toys...

March 26, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home