On Thanksgiving day, my hard drive crashed, leaving locked inside hundreds (no, more like thousands) of pictures that I've taken over the past three years. Yes, I did have some backed up. But no, the vast majority were not. Which torments me.
Our friend Dennis, a wizard with computers, has been a huge help to us in every computer crisis we have had, including this one. Even though he is unable to retrieve the lost data off our hard drive, he recommended a few companies that can do it in their special dust-free labs. The problem is the cost. I won't even say how much it costs, it's too painful.
So here's the million dollar question: How do I let go of all those photos and video clips that represent so many captured childhood moments of my three little children? Answer: I can't. I can't put a price on those kind of things. So I'm going to have to get up the nerve to call the company and pay the price that they ask.
The pictures above were taken almost 10 years ago, when my husband and I were on our honeymoon at Lake Tahoe. Back then I knew almost nothing about digital photography. I put all my photos in old fashioned photo albums. I think I'm going to start doing that again.
Labels: computers, deep thoughts, photography
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Hi Clara,
I have been missing you but I totally understand about getting busy with life, house, kids, all that!
So sorry about your computer crash. That totally stinks to lose your photos! We do back-ups but forget to do them regularly. Maybe scheduling in outlook to remind every 2 weeks or something?
Anyway, this is a good wake up for us all to take care of it. I hope they can get all your pictures back for you. And yes it would be worth the cost to me too. Maybe one of your parents can help?
Beautiful honeymoon photos. I love water pictures. Tina
Belle Adorn said...
December 9, 2008 at 6:30 AM
we recently have these same issue! I guess it's that time and age where our hard-drive dies. They're old. Ours was also 10 years old and we LOST ALL data including pictures and all! My hubby was devastated but nothing more he can do. We just bid adieu...bye to all our memories and all...*sob*
MaricrisG said...
December 10, 2008 at 3:39 PM
Hey Clara
Sorry about the crash. I'm glad you're going to get them back; you'll be happy you did.
Hope things calm downa bit for you soon. :)
-Lysa
Lysa said...
December 11, 2008 at 10:26 AM
I've missed you!
Sorry about your computer crash and especially the loss of your pictures & videos. I backup my photos in two places -- on disk and at flickr. I've been thinking of getting one of those portable hard drives or whatever they are called. That would make regular backups much easier than pulling out disks ever few days.
Hope you are able to get back all those pictures & videos!
Penny said...
December 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM
i am so sorry this happened to you... losing memories is the worst.. especially for me being a professional photographer.. I think creating those memories and documenting those memories are the mose priceless moment you will ever cherish...
may people have told me that if there was a fire in their home assuming everyone is safe... they grab the pics first... and of course.. I would do the same...
scdedule back up dates to do this every week.. if not, every time you upload.. it takes just another minute more than it took you to get them on your computer in the first place...
I hope they can retrieve them... More happy memories in 2009...
G.
~gina lee said...
January 10, 2009 at 12:17 AM